Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Magical Realism

Yesterday we were assigned the second half of Rulfo's "Pedro Paramo".  This story had an overpowering element of magical realism and for that reason it was one that was really difficult for me to enjoy.  For me, the plot was too all over the place bouncing around from one time to another.  The layout of the piece made it more difficult for me to follow and therefore it was in no way enjoyable.  I had to make a strong effort to completely follow where the action was happening and who was alive and who was dead and who was doing what with whom.   I understand why this is a piece that is a "world classic".  The way it shows the distinction between class and commodification with the way the upper class has free reign over everything and everyone is an essential idea with these non-Western works that we have read for class, but it is not an idea that I would be interested to pursue further in my free time.  All in all, this is not the type of literature that I would choose to read ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment