Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tagore

Yesterday for class we had to read Tagore's "Punishment".  This was basically a story about a man who was upset when his wife didn't have dinner ready for him so he killed her.  This story did not really do much for me.  In class it was discussed that possibly the piece was supposed to be comedic, but I didn't see it. At all.  For me, it was a rather boring read and all around pointless.  There was a brief amount of background introducing the setting and the characters then all of a sudden a man is stabbing a woman in the head.  Not much content here or much point.  Stories such as this one are reasons why I do not really get much literary satisfaction from non-Western literature.  As always we had a fair amount of solid class discussion on the work which was enlightening, but it did not change my feelings for the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment