Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Neruda


Yesterday for class we had to read Pablo Neruda.  This class will be my first in depth experience studying non-Western writers and as of now I am not exactly sure how I feel about it.  Western literature has always been what I had chosen to read and I don't love going outside of my comfort zone when it comes to literary works.  The Neruda writings did not really do much for me when I read them.  I did not find much value or meaning to them and I was not looking forward to the class discussion about them.  Again, I found that this class was able to produce great discussion about works that I did not enjoy reading.  Dr. Reed was able to get us all to see more within the reading than I had initially seen.  Going through the works line by line and asking the right questions in class really helped me to develop a deeper understanding of the works I did not really appreciate during the first reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment